Sunday 11 March 2012

March 11...Nga Manu collection

Asplenium flaccidum
This is what you see when you look down a ZOOM digital microscope.....indusium , sporangia on the margin of the pinna.This very useful microscope allows for photography and also videos.

So I have just had a 2 day trip to the Hawkebay with my syndicate team....we were specifically looking at Discovery programmes at Lucknow School- Havelock North, Onekawa and Nelson Park in napier. Was great to see other schools , to get together with my team and to realise again how lucky I am to be doing my fellowship! 
I have also spent a couple of hour in the past week with my principal and we discussed his expectations of what i will do with science on my return. It would seem that the second half of the year 2012 will be spent enlisting and discussing with those on the staff interested in giving science a higher profile and then in 2013 we would look at a specific curriculum focus. Part of my role this year would be to continue accruing resources and web material for teachers.He intimated that there is the possibility of putting together a curricula focus team for science....mgt unit attached and meet regularly  with across school team. i also discussed the leadership course with Des and he was pleased that all was going well.
I really do want to step up to this challenge of science leadership and maybe more.
Also met with John Auty on Monday last and we discussed the possibility of a trip to the Coromandal/ the Denniston Plateau  with Leon and a side trip to Goat Island and the Waitakere Forest while in the North. I will need to contact Donna Montrose for the Goat Is. possibility.

So this week 11/3/12 I am at Nga Manu and have been let loose to begin fern collection. Leon has given me a list of spread sheet requirements for the data basing and also the finer points of collection and drying. I will be into Te Papa on Wednesday with the first samples for drying and freezing. From there they go to the herbarium at Te Papa and also  a sample to Nga Manu.

my first assessment is done to the rough copy stage...unedited to date and quite a LOT OF RAMBLING...WIll need further attention!






Asplenium spp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to read your comments ....Room 15 invites you to enjoy our blog.